Awareness and Education Program
In order to build awareness about poverty in the Greater Newburyport Area, our “Local Poverty Matters Discussion Group” explores questions including:
- How much poverty does Greater Newburyport really have?
- How are federal programs implemented in our area?
- What is being done to help children who go to school hungry or with inadequate clothing?
- How are organizations helping people find affordable housing?
- What do social service agencies in our area do, who do they serve and what help do they need?
We encourage you to participate in these sessions held the first Wednesday of the month from October through May. See details about the series on our News and Events page of the website.
Awareness Leads to Action…
People to Help When Help is Needed
We work to increase awareness of volunteer needs in the community and encourage everyone to volunteer. Pennies for Poverty aims to provide current information about volunteer opportunities and, when possible, respond to ad-hoc requests for volunteers from anti-poverty agencies.
To contact us about volunteering, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Food to Fill Shelves in Local Food Pantries
We promote local food drives in order to increase donations to local food pantries. What used to be emergency assistance has now become a lifeline for families in poverty. Please donate regularly to the local pantries. If you are planning a food drive and would like help publicizing it, please email us at email@example.com.