The Pennies for Poverty team has recently lost an important member. Fran Larkin was an active and passionate advocate for Pennies. We will miss his guidance, his energy and his warm support. We are sharing a bit of his story so others can appreciate his many contributions. Read more about Fran’s life and legacy here.
What is Pennies for Poverty?
Pennies for Poverty: 2 Cents 4 Change, Inc. was founded with the belief that if everyone in the community does a little to help those in need, we can substantially reduce poverty and improve the well being of all members of the community. We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit run by volunteer members of the community. With no paid staff or related expenses, we direct the full amount of your tax-deductible donation to fill the most urgent and important needs. We make very penny count.
Mission: Our mission is to reduce poverty and alleviate its devastating impact on individuals and families in the Greater Newburyport Area. We accomplish this by:
- Increasing awareness and educating about poverty in Greater Newburyport through our Local Poverty Matters lecture series held monthly during the winter.
- Helping people in need find ways of getting help through our mobile-friendly searchable online Resources Directory (resources.penniesforpoverty.org) launched in 2015 as an update to and improvement of our hard-copy directory published in 2011.
- Facilitating the finding of volunteer opportunities by posting a Volunteer Directory online and, when possible, publicizing needs through our newsletter.
- Improving the quality of food provided to those in need by involving farms, fresh fish and natural food stores in our gift card program and distributing the majority of our gift cards during the growing season.
- Promoting food drives to help stock the shelves of local food pantries.
- Supporting local businesses by buying gift cards which we donate to local anti-poverty organizations.
Guiding Principles: Pennies holds itself to the highest moral and ethical standards; promotes and fosters understanding and awareness of poverty and related issues; keeps the goal of ending poverty forefront in making decisions and policies; works to create an atmosphere of cooperation and collaboration within the Board as well as with the community at large; is open to new ideas and new initiatives that lift people out of poverty; is conscious not to initiate programs or events that could reduce funding or volunteering for the agencies who directly serve those in need.
Please consider joining our efforts to end poverty in Newburyport and surrounding towns. We need your ideas, your time and your efforts to make this program work. For more information or if you would like to be involved, email us at email@example.com. To be added to our email list to receive our newsletters and announcements, please fill out this form. If you are an organization seeking funding, please use our Grant Application.